ASC EXECUTIVE BOARD MEETING

April 28-29, 2000

Westin St. Francis Hotel, San Francisco
              THE AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CRIMINOLOGY



President Roland Chilton called the meeting to order at 2:00PM on Friday, April 28, 2000. Attending: C. Ronald Huff, President Elect, Ruth Peterson, Vice- President, Todd Clear, Vice-President Elect, Chris Eskridge, Executive Director, Doris MacKenzie, Executive Secretary, Executive Counselors Julie Horney, Candace McCoy, Cathy Widom, Steve Messner, John Braithwaite, Cheryl Maxson, James Austin, Chair of the National Policy Committee, Deborah Baskin, Program Co-Chair, and Sarah Hall (ASC Administrator).

1. The minutes of the November 20, 1999 Board Meeting were approved

2. Chris W. Eskridge, outgoing Treasurer, commenting on a previously distributed budget, said the ASC was in a solid fiscal position. He expressed some concern about the loss of library subscriptions for the journal and solicited suggestions for changing the pattern. The Board approved the budget as presented.

3. Program Chair Deborah Baskin, in her report (with Ira Sommers) on the 2000 Annual Meeting program, said that many of the requests for special consideration (scheduling, meeting rooms) could not be met but that she and Professor Sommers would do their best to make allowances for the religious obligations of participants. (Later, Dorie Klein, as Co-chair of the Local Arrangements Committee, presented a tentative list of activities for the 2000 meeting.)

4. Executive Director Chris W. Eskridge reported that the Los Angeles contract for 2006 had been finalized and that site visits for future meetings sites will be done this summer. He also pointed out that 100 rooms for Tuesday night were added to the Hyatt for the 2000 meeting in November. He discussed the recent list server problem and what will be done in this area to avoid such problems in the future. The Executive Director reported on his work to enhance ASC interaction and cooperation with international societies of criminology and to increase the number of international members of ASC. He recommended that we make the terms of those appointed as representatives to AAAS and COSSA and the person asked to work on Travel Arrangements three-year appointments. Currently only COSSA and AAAS representatives are appointed for three years. The Board voted to make the term of the Travel Representative a three-year appointment. In response to a second recommendation by the Executive Director, The Board voted that no individual would be permitted to pay for a Life Membership in installments. In response to a third suggestion, the Board voted to give the current bookkeeper, Sue Beelman, seven (7) paid holidays during the year. The Board asked the Executive Director to pursue the AAAS model of financial management, and to write a job description for the Treasurer under the new model and to put the proposed changes in the policies and procedures manual. He was also asked to prepare a By-Laws change for the Board to act on and any necessary changes in the Constitution that are required for such a model. Some members of the Board anticipated that such a model would abolish the Finance Committee, assign responsibilities of preparing budget to the Executive Director and the Bookkeeper, and establish the position of Treasurer as a member of the Executive Committee with responsibility for oversight.

5. ASC Committee Reports: Awards

The Board accepted the recommendations of the Herbert Block Award Committee (Freda Adler, Chair), the Edwin Sutherland Award Committee (Mark S. Hamm, Chair), the August Vollmer Award Committee (James J. Fyfe, Chair), and the Ruth Shonle Cavan Young Scholar Award Committee (Frank Scarpitti, Chair). Marjorie Zatz, Chair of the Michael Hindelang Award Committee asked for additional time to complete the Committee's work. The Committee will submit a report in the summer. In response to questions raised by a member of the Board, the Board asked the president to request a more detailed report on the procedures followed by the Sellin-Glueck Award Committee. A Board member also expressed concern over the distribution of the name of the person selected by that committee on the list server of the Division on Women and Crime. The president noted that an e-mail message from the Committee's chair to the Board was inadvertently addressed to the list server. [Note: Following distribution of the information requested, the Board voted by e-mail to accept the recommendation of the Sellin-Glueck Award Committee.]

The Board accepted the recommendation of the Fellows Committee (Drew Humphries, Chair). All those to receive awards will be notified by the President and featured in an issue of the Criminologist.

6. ASC Committee Reports: The National Policy Committee

James Austin, Chair of the National Policy Committee, discussed a report on incarceration trends submitted to the Board by his committee. He said there was debate among National Policy Committee (NPC) members about whether ASC should take policy positions. The majority of the NPC believed that ASC should take policy positions but there was a strong minority position from those who disagreed. The NPC submitted the report on incarceration to demonstrate how such policy statements might look. The Board discussed whether and when ASC should take positions on policy issues. A discussion of the different ways to inform policy makers without ASC taking a policy position ensued. The Board asked the National Policy Committee to develop a policy paper on "Incarceration Trends" similar to the draft paper submitted to the board. The paper would be distributed at the annual meeting in San Francisco and be discussed at one of the plenary sessions. The paper will reflect the state-of-knowledge in the area and be used to inform the membership but will not be presented as an ASC position statement. The committee will contact appropriate ASC Divisions for information and suggestions. Some Board members suggested that the Board ask the National Policy Committee to make recommendations to the Board for topics that might be covered in subsequent annual policy papers.

7. Other Committee Reports

Ruth Peterson (Vice-President and Editorial Board Chair) said the Editorial Board discussed but did not develop written reports on two issues. The first was the possibility that the publisher was not providing the Editor with some important information needed for the journal. She said the problem had been resolved. Also discussed was a recommendation that the Society develop a procedure for issuing occasional press releases for articles that appear in Criminology. Ruth Peterson presented her recollection of a discussion of this suggestion by the Editorial Board in November and an account of a discussion with the American Sociological Association's Executive Director. The Editorial Board will develop a written report for the November Executive Board meeting.

The Board discussed a report submitted by the Ad Hoc Committee on Annual Meeting Policy Chaired by C. Ronald Huff. The Committee considered possible responses to the failure of annual meeting participants to appear as scheduled. The committee consulted with three other organizations before recommending that the ASC carry out a more systematic assessment of the magnitude and the nature of the problem. There was a consensus among ASC Board members that we should try to find out how many non-participants there are at our annual meetings. Non-participants were defined as those people who are on the program but do not come to the panel--although some of these non-participants may have notified the chair of the panel that they would not be able to attend. The committee was asked to draft language for a request to the panel chairs that they report the individuals who do not show up for scheduled panels and indicate which of these non-participants notified the panel chair prior to the panel session. The purpose of this is to develop an estimate of the magnitude of the "no show" problem at our annual meetings. After this estimate is developed, the board will consider whether any further action is necessary to deal with this issue.

The Board received and accepted reports from the Inter-organizational Relations Committee (Susan Martin, Chair), the Membership Committee (Bonnie Berry, Chair), the Student Affairs (Lanette Dalley, Chair), The Site Selection Committee (C. Ronald Huff, Chair), the representatives to COSSA (Michael Buckley and Margaret Zahn), and the Travel Representative (Hugh Barlow).

The Board asked Chris Eskridge to talk with Susan Martin about ASC members who her committee thought might be appropriate as representatives to what may become a Consortium of Interdisciplinary Law Related Associations.

8. Associations and Affiliations: The President asked if the ASC should defray the travel expenses to the AAAS Annual Meeting of the Representative to the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). The Board decided against it. The Board discussed seeking membership in the American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) as recommended by the Inter-organizational Relations Committee. After a brief discussion of the costs and benefits involved, the Board voted not to seek membership in the ACLS.

In recent years the ASC has sponsored a coffee at the Annual Meeting of the British Society of Criminology (BSC). The Board suggested that this year the President ask an American ASC member who will be attending the BSC meeting in July to serve as host for this event.

The Board discussed a recent request from COSSA's Executive Director for a larger ASC contribution to COSSA. After the discussion, the Board voted to contribute to COSSA $1 for each ASC member, including students, for a total of $3,444 based on 1999 ASC membership. Ronald Huff was asked to nominate one new COSSA representative who will serve for a three-year period.

9. Roland Chilton had previously asked Board members to read the proposed Code of Ethics and make suggestions to the Ethics Committee for their consideration as they revise the proposed code this summer. The Board engaged in a lengthy discussion of the code and Board members made a number of suggestions for its revision. Some of the concerns were these: the need for an introduction to the code, the need to focus on the conduct of ASC members rather than the actions of administrators in the organizations in which ASC members work, the complexity of the procedures proposed for response to allegations of unethical conduct, the need for procedures to be followed when a complaint involves an officer or a board member, and the need to insure that decisions will be made in a reasonable length of time. Noting that the code was based on one developed by the American Sociological Association, the president suggested that the Ethics Committee ask ASA about the number of incidents processed, the number that went to mediation, the number of individuals sanctioned, and the most frequent outcome of the cases processed. After some discussion of how to summarize the Board's discussion, Todd Clear offered to make changes in the Code of Ethics in line with the Board's discussion so that the Board might recommend specific changes to the Ethics Committee.

10. Chris Eskridge reported that Charles Wellford has agreed to write the history of the ASC from 1975 until the present. The Board voted to thank Professor Wellford and to reimburse his expenses for travel to the ASC offices in Columbus to examine the ASC archives.

11. C. Ronald Huff, President Elect, presented a tentative list of committee appointments to the Board. There was a discussion about how to insure that the committee assignments reflected the full representation of different disciplines and perspectives in ASC. After a brief discussion, Ronald Huff requested that each Board member send him suggestions to be considered in developing the final list of proposed committee appointments. The list of proposed committee appointments will be e mailed to board members for final approval.

12. In response to Ronald Huff's nomination of Candace McCoy to serve as Treasurer, there was a discussion of the merits of electing a Treasurer. The Board voted that the office of Treasurer should continue to be filled by appointment, as the ASC Constitution requires.

13. CRIMINOLOGY Report: Robert J. Bursik, Jr. was unable to attend but notified the Board that his report will be e mailed to Board members at a later date.

14. Todd Clear, Vice President Elect, asked about the possibility of putting the ASC Employment Exchange on the ASC Web site. Chris Eskridge reported that the Employment Exchange Committee is trying to use the web site as much as possible and that most of the tasks involved could be done on the web site prior to the Annual meeting. He suggested that the Committee's work at the meetings would be much more productive if preliminary work is done on web.

15. There was extensive discussion of the revised version of the ASC Policy and Procedures Manual distributed to all Board members by Chris Eskridge prior to the meeting. He asked every Board member to review the Manual and make suggests for changes. He will incorporate the changes into the Manual and submit it to Board Members for the fall 2000 Board meeting. Roland Chilton suggested that the By Laws be amended to contain a section called "Standing Committees" and that the most durable committees be listed along with each committee's charge and composition. A standing committee would be defined as a committee that is listed as such in the by-laws. Two consecutive ASC Boards must vote to accept changes in the By-laws. After some discussion of this suggestion, the Board identified the following committees as possible standing committees: the Constitution and By-laws Committee, the six Award committees, the Affirmative Action Committee, the Editorial Committee, the Executive Committee, the Fellows Committee, the Membership Committee, the National Policy Committee, the Nominations Committee, and the Student Affairs Committee.

There was a discussion of multi-year committee appointment and the advantages of changing some committees, such as the awards, committees every year. The Board made no decision on these issues and will review the next version of the Policy and Procedures manual and the proposal for establishing standing committees.

Other suggestions from the Board for the Policies and Procedures Manual included clarification of section 3.1.3.2, to remove the requirement for tape recording Board meetings; changing 6.7.1.B. to clarify eligibility for ethnic minority fellowships by reference to doctoral programs in a broadly defined field of "criminology and criminal justice"; clarifying the references to a meeting manager; clarifying section 3.2.1 to fit the description of the position of treasurer as it changes; and eliminating Section 6.11.3 C. The Board then voted to eliminate 5.3.2, a section that suggested that each division should have a representative on the program committee. Finally, the Board voted to change the name of the Affirmative Action Committee to the Minority Affairs Committee.

16. The next ASC Executive Board Meeting was set for Tuesday, November 14 at 2:00 PM. The Board meeting to follow it was set for Saturday, November 18 from 2:00 to 5:00 PM.

The meeting adjourned at 3:00 PM.